Gas safety and maintenance

Natural gas is highly flammable and there’s a small risk of leaking carbon monoxide if your appliances are not properly serviced. Stay safe year-round with our tips:

Gas leaks

If you smell gas inside your home or business:

  • turn off all your appliances, pilot light and supply at the gas meter
  • open all doors and windows for ventilation
  • do not use any open flames, sparks, or ignition sources
  • contact your qualified gasfitter to repair the leak and turn your gas back on.

If you smell gas near your gas meter or the street:

  • do not use any open flames, sparks, or ignition sources
  • call us on 13 67 07.

Don't operate electrical equipment close to a suspected gas leak.


Did you know

The smell of natural gas is actually odorless, an added odour, that smells similar to rotten eggs, is included as a safety measure so we can detect the presence of natural gas in the air.


Be safe during a bushfire

In a bushfire, turn off your natural gas supply.

The valve to turn off your gas supply is on the side of your meter or on the front pipe. Always keep the area around your meter clear from any flammable materials.


Life support customers

If you, or someone in your home, relies on life support equipment that uses gas, be sure to register as a life support customer.

During planned and unplanned outages, we always prioritise life support customers.

To find out more, including a list of eligible life support equipment, see Life support customers.


Carbon monoxide

  • Consider installing a carbon monoxide alarm as a safety measure. For more information, visit Energy Safe Victoria.
  • Don’t leave your gas heater on overnight or for extended periods.
  • Don’t use kitchen rangehoods, toilet or bathroom exhaust fans at the same time as your heater. It can create a negative pressure environment, drawing carbon monoxide into living spaces. For more information, visit Energy Safe Victoria.
  • Make sure your home has enough ventilation – check your fans and exhausts are clear, and leave a window open if necessary, especially if your heater is open-flued. For more information, visit Energy Safe Victoria.
  • Do you know the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning? It’s important to act quickly if you suspect you’ve been affected – turn off the suspected faulty appliance, open doors and windows, and leave the property. Learn more at Department of Health.

Gas outages

Upgrade works or unforeseen incidents may cause temporary gas supply interruptions. Learn more about the types of outages and how to identify your gas meters' valve off/on position.

Prepare for a gas outage


Maintaining and using gas appliances

  • A qualified gasfitter should service your gas heater every two years – this will help make sure it’s safe and efficient.
  • Always use a qualified gasfitter to service your gas appliances according to the manufacturer’s instructions and keep a record of the service date.
  • Ask your qualified gasfitter for a Certificate of Compliance for any gas works done in your home or business.
  • Never attempt to fix your gas heater yourself or allow an unqualified person to attempt to fix it. Gas work is not a DIY project and you must call a licensed gasfitter.
  • Always use your gas appliances for their intended purpose – for example, don’t use a gas cooker, cooktop or oven as a heater.
  • Don’t keep chemicals or pressure packs on or near a gas appliance – heat may cause them to react or explode.
  • Dust or lint buildup can cause issues with your water and space heaters. Ensure your burners and fans are clear to prevent potential problems with your heating appliances.
  • If you have a commercial or industrial gas meter, consider installing a wire fence enclosure or bollards around them to protect them from damage or vandalism.

More safety advice