Stand Alone Power Systems (SAPS)
For around 1 – 5 customers
SAPS are an independent electricity generation and supply system. In our network, these systems are deployed on the network side of a property’s smart meter and are classified as utility-grade. Its various components can operate independently of the distribution network, making it more suitable for remote customers. For SAPS deployed by us, or by a third-party on our behalf, we can retire the powerline to the customer’s residence so the customer gets 100% renewable energy when the SAPS is operating normally. In most cases, a property will need some type of backup generation to support the solar and battery system.
SAPS vary in size depending on the maximum anticipated load they need to support. They often have:
- a solar photovoltaic (PV) system – e.g. ground mounted solar
- a small battery bank – usually contained within the SAPS cabinet
- a backup generator
- protection and control equipment.
Key considerations for deployment:
- Our Stand Alone Power Program is exclusively available to existing customers who meet the necessary criteria and are connected to our network.
- Ensure the SAPS can deliver the maximum anticipated load at the property.We adopt a strong focus on direct engagement with the property owners to ensure any plans to install a SAPS align with the property owner’s interests.
- Land lease agreements and system location (as appropriate).
- 100% renewable energy for customers connected to the SAPS.
- Pride of deploying a community energy solution.
- Increased reliability of power supply.
- Increased resilience during severe weather events.
- No dependency on the distribution network.
- Lower carbon emissions as the electricity supply primarily comes from renewable energy sources, such as solar charging with battery storage.
- Reduced safety hazards – e.g. lower risk of starting bushfires.
AusNet’s Stand Alone Power Program
Are you a remote customer interested in learning more about this innovative solution? Download our Stand Alone Power System brochure (PDF, 5 MB). It gives an overview of the benefits and the six-stage engagement and development process that we follow to help customers clarify eligibility and what’s involved. If you’re considering a SAPS for your property, we’ll support you every step of the way.