For around 20 – 1000+ customers
An off-grid microgrid is very similar in design and operation to a grid connected microgrid. The primary difference is that the off-grid microgrid only operates in islanded mode. It’s completely disconnected from the wider network (islanding the community full-time).
- Solar photovoltaic (PV) system.
- Battery Energy Storage System (BESS).
- Diesel generator, or alternative carbon free solution as a backup generation source.
- Orchestration platform.
- Protection and control equipment.
Key considerations for deployment:
- Network requirements - e.g. additional protection requirements to minimise bushfire risks.
- Designing the microgrid’s orchestration logic and capability to facilitate all anticipated loads and generation sources within the community.
- Community support and acceptance of new or alternative technologies.
- Does the solution’s cost and complexity align to your community’s primary objective?
- Land lease agreements and system location (as applicable).
- 100% renewable energy within the off-grid microgrid’s operational zone.
- Pride of deploying a community energy solution.
- Increased resilience during severe weather events.
- Increased reliability of power supply.
- Increased safety - e.g. lower risk of starting bushfires.